When it comes to building your new home, a lot of consideration and thought is usually put into the floorplan and home’s interior design – but have you considered what makes for the best lot selection for your new home?
At Parkwood Master Builder, we have compiled our top tips of items to review and consider when selecting your new home’s lot.
What direction will your backyard be facing?
- North – a backyard facing this direction will get limited sunlight, but also keep rooms at the rear of the home cool and comfortable for sleeping.
- East – wake up to the sunshine coming into your yard, but enjoy your afternoons in a pleasant space with some shade.
- South – this backyard will experience a lot of sunlight, so if you enjoy gardening or tanning this might be the best option for you.
- West – this direction offers lots of sunshine later in the day and evening, so if you prefer to sit out after a day at work in direct sun, a west-facing backyard would be a great fit.
It is a good idea to look on a lot map for any sort of street furniture that may be located on or near your ideal lot.
- Streetlights are great for providing lots of light and added safety throughout the night, but might not be the best if your master bedroom is located at the front of the house.
- Having a fire hydrant on or close to your property should help lower insurance premiums, but will also require your attention during winter months, as it is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure snow is kept clear and free should the fire department need to access a hydrant in an emergency. Yet a hydrant also means you won’t have vehicles parked out front of home.
- A community mailbox near by makes collecting your mail easy and convenient, but do take note that neighbours will also make frequent daily stops at the mailbox.
When building a home, the community lot map will be laid out with predetermined garage locations and orientations. When viewing the map consider the placement of the garage (determining if the front door is to the left or right) on the lot of your choice. Preference of this direction will also determine the layout of your home’s interior (kitchen on the left or right of the entrance) which may play a role in your personal preference, spiritual believes or other personalization you are looking to make in the space.
We hope that we have provided you knowledge and insight into making the best lot selection for your new home and your family. Should you have any questions or require any further assistance in finding perfect lot and location for your dream home, contact us today!